Military and Overseas Voting

The federal government passed the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) which provides special registration and absentee voting provisions for military and overseas civilians. Over time and with the assistance of other agencies and States, additional legislation has been passed to build on the initial act that so that all uniformed and overseas citizens fall under the category of “protected voter” and Clerks are able to provide ballots 45 days prior to an election, up to and including electronic ballots in some situations,

The Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) serves as both a voter registration form and an absentee ballot application. To utilize this form voters must be:

  •  A member of the uniformed service on active duty
  •  A member of the Merchant Marine
  •  A spouse or dependent of a member or a uniformed service or the Merchant Marine
  • A civilian voter who is outside the United States

Each voter must submit his/her own form. The registration is allowed at the voter’s last known U.S. address and the form can be received by the Clerk’s Office either via e-mail or FAX. Our FAX number is 734-454-1643. The email address is either or

You can get the Federal Post Card Application at  All completed federal post card applications are valid for one year and they make it possible for eligible participants to vote in all elections during that year. The Charter Township of Plymouth historically has elections in even numbered years for local, state and federal elections, so it is important that you get your forms to us to accommodate that schedule if you wish to vote.

The absentee ballots of military voters and voters living overseas are considered timely if they are postmarked by Election Day and received by the clerk’s office within six days of the election. 

You will be able to check the status of your requested absentee ballot and get answers to many other questions by going to the Michigan Secretary of State website at where you will find the Michigan Voter Information Center. Just click on the tab for Military and Overseas Voting.

As your local representatives to the voting process, we are here to do all we can to assist you and ensure that you are able to exercise your right to vote.  Please call us at 734-354-3223 if we can answer any questions or provide any additional information.